The 1,650 SF Roy’s Gulf Service Station, built in 1940, sits at the northeast corner of city’s historic main green, Coburn Park. In converting it to a coffee shop, the design team strove to maintain the station’s character and defining features such as the storefront windows, wood trim and Colonial-style wood cupola were retained in the new coffee shop. Accessible bathrooms and new mechanical and electrical systems were integrated into the space. The new walls for the commercial kitchen stop short of the ceiling allowing the openness of the original three-bay service area volume to be fully expressed.